May 31, 2012

The Cure For Insomnia

Insomnia Cure Photo
Photo by Da2Go

Most adults have experienced insomnia or sleeplessness at one time or another in their lives. An estimated 30-50% of the general population are affected by insomnia, and 10% have chronic insomnia.

I don't usually have trouble sleeping. But yesterday, when I went to bed and I couldn't get any sleep, I noticed something strange. I was trapped.

I was trapped in a 1m x 2m bed, and most people are trapped too. In an even smaller cage if you're married. I felt a sudden urge to roll (in the deep), but I was blocked from all four sides.

I began to wonder how people tolerated this sleeping method all these years.. But then I realized that we didn't always sleep like this. I mean the early man used to sleep on the ground. Wow! How liberating is that!

He had the freedom of sleeping someplace and waking up ten meters away. And believe me, cold, predators, discomfort of the soil... all become miniscule compared to FREEDOM!

Humans have been sleeping on beds since thousands of years, insomnia wasn't known before that.. We trained ourselves to sleep in the same position all night, but that isn't the natural way we were designed to sleep.

Unfortunately, this realization didn't lead me to a deep sleep. So I began to think more about the old man's way of living.

But that's when another realization kicked in! The early man's eyes weren't accustomed to seeing light after the sun is down.

Yet, the modern "civilized" man has invented light bulbs, TVs, computers, mobile phones... All of which emit light even after the natural sunlight is gone.

What this means is that by exposing your eyes to "unnatural" light, you're tricking your brain to think that it's still daytime and it's too early to prepare itself for sleep.

And when you suddenly turn off the lights and tell your brain to fall asleep, it starts wondering how the sun went down so fast and questioning the origin of the universe (or in my case, the cure for insomnia).

So if you are suffering from insomnia, try sleeping in an unbordered area tonight, and turn off all the lights when the sun is down. I'll bet you'll sleep like a pre-historic baby (;


You may have noticed that the posts I'm writing on this blog are getting more like musings than articles. This is intentional because I think that people don't have time to read long, detailed articles. These were the ideas I wanted to share and if you want more info about insomnia just google or wiki it.

Speaking of insomnia, here's an awesome song by Owl City: