Jan 12, 2013

Why Do We Hate?

I hate you photo

Whether it's joy, sadness, envy, excitement... There's a reason behind every human emotion. Sometimes the reason is clear and obvious, and sometimes we need to introspect to figure it out. So why do we hate? What's the reason/purpose behind it? We're talking here about hating people, not an object or a situation..

For the sake of this article, I want you to think of someone you hate. Any random person in your life, someone you don't like. A name just popped in your head. That's the person we need.

Now I want you to think: why do you hate this person? You can open a notepad and jot down all the reasons you can think of.

You will have something that looks like this:
-They are rude to me
-They are always late
-They are loud
etc..

These are NOT the reasons you hate this person. Actually, you don't even hate this person. You hate "rudeness", "lateness" and "loudness".

Why?

Because you hate yourself when you are rude, late or loud.

Maybe when you were young, your parents used to yell at you for being loud. Your girlfriend dumped you for being rude on one occasion.. etc

Every person you hate reflects something(s) you hate about yourself. Loving others starts with unconditionally loving yourself.
"I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making me hate him." ~Booker T. Washington
Next time you feel hate towards someone, ask yourself: What am I hating in this person? And how does it relate to me?

I leave you to ponder on this.

Repost This